7.16.2009

Homemade Baby Food

Butternut Squash - yum!
I've been making homemade baby food! It's fun, economical, and a great nutritional start for my baby! A friend recommended this website http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ and a book by Annabel Karmel. I used "First Meals" that I checked out from my library branch. So far I've made pears, applesauce, butternut squash, potatoes, and green beans. I used a hand blender attachment that came with my mixer and it works wonderfully. They all seem to freeze well and taste remarkably good! I'm looking forward to my next cooking concoction!

3 comments:

  1. I made all of Genevieve's baby food and plan to do the same with Anson. It's saves you money and it's healthier for babies, as well as it's easy! I recommend the book, Super Baby Food. It tells you what to do with different foods and tells you which food is best for what age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kendi! One of the blogs I read recommends this for homemade baby food, so thought I would share: when you are ready to freeze it, put it in ice cube trays. Then you can transfer the cubes over to ziplocs. Voila! Perfect little portions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kelli for adding about ice cube trays. I forgot that part! I do that also and just pop it into the microwave for a few seconds to warm it. But... be sure to check the temp before feeding baby!

    ReplyDelete